The first settlers arrived around 1789. The town was formed in
1796 while still part of Ontario County, New York. The town was known as
"Augusta" until 1808, when the name was changed to "Middlesex" to avoid
confusion with another location named Augusta. When Yates County was formed in
1823, Middlesex became part of the new county.
The Town of Potter was formed from part of Middlesex in 1832,
and more of Middlesex was added to Potter in 1856.